Self Care Doesn’t Need to be Toxic!
- Posted on: Nov 18 2019
Did you know that as a typical individual, you are exposed to over 100 toxic chemicals on a regular basis? These toxins come from your shampoo to your lotion to the dish washing soap. Chronic toxic exposure to chemicals can lead to autoimmune conditions, neurodegenerative diseases and cancer. The FDA has little control over what ingredients make it into the products we use every day and labels can be deceiving. Did you know companies can hide questionable ingredients behind “fragrance” on a label?
Not only do harmful toxins impact our health but even possibly the next generation. Hazardous chemicals can be passed through breastmilk which can affect growth and development of children. It can be overwhelming to try and throw away a bunch of products you have already likely spent money on. Instead, as you run out of a product, replace it with a safer, cleaner alternative. At Dr. Shel’s, we are here to support you and be your advocate. Here are some recommendations of brands to keep things clean and safe.
Recommended Personal Care Products
- The Honest Company Sweet Orange Vanilla Shampoo & Conditioner
- Innersense Hydrating Cream Hairbath
- Rocky Mountain Soap Company Everyday Hero Shower Gel
- Thirsty Naturals All Over Wash
- Jusu Body Natural Body Lotion
- Caribbean Sol Kukui Body Silk
- Dr Shel MD
- Luxe Beauty
- Mad Hippie Skin Care
- There isn’t one specific brand to recommend but stick to organic cotton, unscented, bleach free. Also consider a reusable menstrual cup.
- Stick to mineral based products
- BeautyCounter (Sold online)
- Juice Brand (sold at Ulta)
- Rejuva Mineral
Recommended Home Care Products
- Seventh Generation (sold at HEB)
- DIY cleaners with water, vinegar, essential oils
- Kosmatology Foaming Hand Soap
- Jusu Body Ginger Citrus Hand Soap
- Eco-Max Landry Detergent
- All Free and Clear Laundry Detergent
- Seventh Generation Free & Clear
- Thymes Candles
- Diffuse distilled water a few drops of essential oil for a fresh, clean scent
Other Home Care Tips
- Remove all plastic from your home including food containers, cups, straws. Replace with glass, ceramic, metal.
- Consider some air purifying plants for your home including Devil’s Ivy and Snake Plant. They keep the air clean and are low maintenance plants!
- Good essential oil companies include Doterra and Young Living. You want a quality essential oil to use at home.
- Consider a countertop reverse osmosis system to purify your water
We will never be able to fully eliminate every single toxin; however, we can make the informed, conscious decision for ourselves and our families to choose clean products. We are our biggest advocates, so take the time to educate yourself about the products around you. One app I use to help sort out the good from the bad, Think Dirty. You can scan UPC labels at the grocery store or make up aisle to give you an indication of what the best products will be for you. Start slow and know you’re making a health-conscious choice with every purchase!
For more information visit our site at www.drshel.com. If you would like to schedule a complimentary consultation, please call us at 281-313-7435.
Posted in: Uncategorized