Fresh Eating After Thanksgiving!
- Posted on: Dec 6 2019
The week after Thanksgiving calls for some light, fresh eating! Check out these recipes below for some gluten, dairy free options this week!
Breakfast: Egg Free Breakfast Bowl
If you are sensitive to eggs, try this breakfast bowl for a satiating meal. Feel free to add eggs if you are not sensitive. Always choose organic, cage free eggs.
3 sweet potatoes
6 tbsp avocado oil
1 ½ tsp salt
½ tsp garlic powder
1 ½ pounds of breakfast sausage (shoot for organic, no preservatives or added sugar) *Or substitute ground turkey or grass fed ground beef
2 heads of organic kale
¼ tsp cumin
¼ tsp chili powder
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
½ lemon, juiced
1 cup pico de gallo
1 cup guacamole
Chopped cilantro for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Bake cubed sweet potatoes tossed in 3 tbsp avocado oil with salt and garlic powder. Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Cook breakfast sausage or ground meat in skillet.
- In another skillet, sauté kale in 3 tbsp of avocado oil and cook for 5 minutes. Add salt, cumin, chili powder, cayenne pepper, lemon juice.
- When everything is cooked, build your bowl! Sweet potatoes on the bottom, meat, kale, pico de gallo, guacamole, and cilantro on top!
DIY Almond Milk
Almond milk is a staple in the kitchen for cooking, baking, coffee, smoothies. Making it at home ensures you know exactly what ingredients are in your almond milk.
1 cup organic, raw almonds
2 ½ cups of water
1 tsp vanilla extract
Pinch of sea salt
- Take 1 cup of almonds and rinse well. Transfer to pitcher or mason jar.
- Add twice the volume of water to almonds and cover with a towel. Allow to soak for at least 12 hours, no more than 24 hours.
- After soaking, dump into colander and rinse well.
- Add almonds to high speed blender with 2 ½ cups of water, add vanilla and salt, blend.
- Pour mixture through nut milk bag, seal, and squeeze out milk from the top to the bottom.
- Store in the fridge and enjoy!
Dinner: Instant Pot Zucchini Bolognese
Zucchini noodles are a way to enjoy a lighter, low carbohydrate meal.
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 large yellow onion
1 pound ground turkey or grass fed beef
1 ½ pounds zucchini, chopped into ½ inch pieces
3 garlic cloves, minced
- Saute onion and olive oil in Instant Pot on sauté mode. Cook for 2-3 minutes until soft.
- Add ground meat, cook until no longer pink.
- Toss in zucchini and garlic and 1 tsp of salt. Stir.
- Lock the Instant Pot lid and seal. Cook on high pressure for 35 minutes.
- After complete, manually vent. With a spatula, mash zucchini and onion inside the pot to form a chunky sauce. Taste and adjust with any seasonings desired.
- Spiralize zucchini or pick up already spiralized. Toss into Instant Pot and allow to soften.
- Serve hot!
We hope you are enjoying this new series of recipes! We would love to hear from you if there’s one recipe you particularly enjoyed by emailing us at [email protected]. Please feel free to email any recipe requests also. Thank you for taking the time to read our blog and stay tuned for more recipes next week. If you would like to know more about living a healthy lifestyle please go to our website at www.drshel.com or call us at 281-313-7435 and we would be happy to schedule a complimentary consultation with you.
Posted in: Healthy Recipes