The Four Stages of Detoxification
- Posted on: Nov 8 2019
We’ve all heard of detoxification: detox teas, smoothies, gummies, cleanses. But what exactly does it mean to detox and why does it matter?
Each day we consume many different toxins from food, water, our environment, our personal care and cleaning products at home. Each day your body must process all those toxins to prevent toxic build up which can lead to inflammation and chronic disease.
There are four detoxing systems in our body:
- GI tract
The liver is the work horse of the detoxification process. It converts toxic chemicals into water soluble waste to be eliminated through urination, defecation and sweating.
So if detoxification is so important, how can we keep our liver healthy and functioning properly? Here are some every day tips to keep your liver and detoxification system in check.
- Start your morning with warm water and ½ lemon juiced
- Drink plenty of water! The rule of thumb is half your body weight in ounces (Example: 150 pounds, 75 ounces of water per day)
- Eat a diet full of organic, colorful produce. If buying completely organic isn’t something you can afford, check out the Dirty Dozen. These are the most pesticide laden produce updated each year by the Environmental Working Group. Buy all these organic!
- Break a sweat! Find your favorite form of exercise and shoot to exercise 4-5x/week.
- Swap out all personal care and home products (make up, deodorant, lotion, shampoo, conditioner, cleaners, soaps, detergents). If you’re feeling like you need some guidance, try the Think Dirty app for recommendations on clean products!
These are all a wonderful way to start your journey to detoxifying. A great way to jump start the detox journey is the 14 Day Detox here at the Dr. Shel Wellness and Aesthetic Center. It is a gentle, nutritional program to support the natural detoxification process within the liver, gut and kidneys. It also supports weight loss, GI function, energy level, and can even help with mental clarity. You will consume two Detoxification Program shakes per day and one healthy meal with medical grade supplements all in one convenient pack! Pick whatever meal works best for you and your schedule. Each kit contains a booklet that will guide you along your detox journey and make recommendations for your healthiest meal options.
After your detox is complete, you will have done a total body reset. You should feel rejuvenated and proud! You did something amazing for your body. To maintain your good results, avoid processed food (anything with a nutrition label), alcohol, sugar, artificial sweeteners, gluten and dairy.
Detoxification is an ongoing process. There are a few things at Dr. Shel Wellness and Aesthetic Center, we want to support you throughout your detoxification. Some additional therapies we offer that are fantastic for detoxing:
- IV Glutathione
- Fun fact: Glutathione is one of the most potent antioxidants. It neutralizes free radicals with helps stop any damage from occurring in the liver!
- Infrared sauna
- Aqua Detox
As a special thank you, we would like to offer you 15% off your 14 Day Detox. Just come by the office and mention the blog post OR go to our online store at www.drshelmd.com and enter the discount code DETOX at checkout. We would love to hear how you did on your detoxification journey or answer any questions you may have. Email us at [email protected] and let us know how you did! For a complimentary consultation on detoxification or any of the other services we offer, please call us at 281-313-7435 and we would be happy to schedule that for you!